Medical Lab Technician in Joliet IL and Greater Illinois
A Medical Lab Technician, also known as a Clinical Lab Technician works closely with the medical lab scientist, who is responsible for analyzing and researching medical samples taken from patients, including tissue samples and blood samples. The role of medical laboratory technician is complex and highly specialized. This article is designed to provide you with some background information on this career as well as inform you about the various schools, courses, programs and training available by accredited medical lab technician schools in Joliet IL and greater Illinois.
Skills Necessary to be a Medical Laboratory Technician in Joliet IL and Greater Illinois
The nature of this job requires a person to possess certain skills to be able to perform your duties and tasks successfully, these include:
- Be patient and well-organized carefully performing your work step by step;
- Attention to detail;
- Analytical thinking
- Proficiency in mathematics and research methods;
- Strong technical and computer skills to work with medical research equipment and analyze the results gained; and
- Good communication skills.
Throughout this website we list relevant courses and schools in Joliet IL and greater Illinois who can teach and train you to develop the skills listed above. By completing a certified med lab program, you will be provided with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in the workforce.
Training or Relevant Courses to become a Clinical Lab Technologist in Joliet IL and Greater Illinois
After receiving your General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), you may enroll for a Medical Laboratory Technician program. There are many institutions, such as Everest College, Trillium College, or Oulton College in addition to those listed throughout this website which offer you programs pursuing which you will get a proper training and become a medical lab Technician in a very short period. Obtaining medical lab technician certification from a reputable medical lab technician program is a great way to build your knowledge in the field.
There are also Commission on Accreditation of the Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) where you can obtain a necessary training and get the required corresponding knowledge. In case you work, but you have decided to pursue a second education, most of the programs give you an opportunity to work and study at the same time and some even allow online study only.
Med Lab Technician Schools in Illinois
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Business Programs and Education Programs in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Financial aid is available for students who quality, with more than $1,000,000 through 10 scholarships.
- Offers 24/7 student services, including financial aid help, course registration, and career counseling.
- Students may opt in for a two week, risk-free trial period.
- Active-duty military, veterans, and Veteran’s Administration employees can save 15% on tuition.
- M.S. in Clinical Research Administration (MS CRA)
- Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
Discover the power of ONE COURSE A MONTH® to fit education into your busy life. Brown Mackie College’s ONE COURSE A MONTH® schedule lets you focus on your course work one subject at a time.
- Certificate in Biomedical Equipment Technician
Subjects That You May Learn as a Clinical Lab Assistant in Joliet IL and Greater Illinois
Enrolling for a Medical Lab Technician program, you will have to study such disciplines, as biology, microbiology, anatomy, specimen collection, clinical research methods, histology, cytology, medical terminology, pharmacology, etc. Medical Lab classes and training is available in both on campus and online formats. The curriculum offered by each school varies, we suggest you contact the schools in Joliet IL and greater Illinois to ensure you fully understand what courses and training is on offer and what program is best for you.
Job Opportunities and Median Salary of a Medical Lab Technician in Joliet IL and Greater Illinois
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary of a Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician is estimated to be $37,240 per year. As with all careers, how much you can earn as a Medical Laboratory Technician is dependent on where you work, your educational background and how hard you work. In Joliet IL there is strong demand for Clinical Laboratory staff making a career in this field very promising.
Typical Activities and Job Duties of a Medical Laboratory Technician in Joliet IL and Greater Illinois
The main responsibility and duty of the medical lab Technician is to make sure all the equipment is ready for conducting medical tests and analysis. To be more precise, the duties include the following items:
- Make sure the medical equipment and laboratory machines do not experience any complications during the test due to various technical problems that may occur;
- Prepare necessary materials and samples for investigations and experiments;
- Sterilizing the instruments for the test and experiments;
- Record the test process and the outcome of the experiments;
We hope that this article will give you the necessary information that will help you make your decision.